The Growing Importance of Medical Billing and Coding in Healthcare
Are you searching for a career that fits your interests or considering a career change? If you like working in medical office settings, handling data, and working with people, you may be well-suited for a medical billing and coding career. Curious? Read on for details about this exciting career path and how you can enter an exciting and growing field.
What is medical billing and coding?
Medical billing and coding handle administrative tasks for healthcare offices by assigning codes to procedures and managing billing processes. Skilled professionals ensure accurate coding and billing, supporting patient care.
- Assign alphanumeric codes to medical procedures for insurance and billing.
- Accurate coding is vital for proper insurance claim processing.
- Work in various healthcare settings like dental offices and therapy centers.
- Ensure correct codes on claims for reimbursement approval.
- Manage financial aspects and translate procedures into standardized codes.
- Crucial for healthcare practice’s financial health and timely reimbursement.
What is the career outlook for medical billing and coding?
The career prospects for medical billing and coding professionals are bright: it is expected to grow 7-9% from 2020-2030. We can expect opportunities to continue to appear in this field as we look toward the future.
What is the average salary for medical billing and coding professionals?
A competitive salary is an important aspect of an enjoyable and fulfilling career, so let’s talk about medical coding and billing salary. Dollars and cents: how much, on average, should a medical billing and coding professional expect to earn? Average salaries vary by location and training, but depending on experience, professionals in this field can expect to earn between $28,800 and $73,370 a year.
How can I train for a career in medical billing and coding?
Most professionals find that the investment in a reputable medical billing and coding certification program pays dividends in their future careers. A good program can help propel you into your perfect role, whether you are just starting or pondering a career change.
As you search for a good medical coding and billing school, don’t ignore Lackawanna College.
Lackawanna offers two competitive certificate programs:
- Suppose you are sure that medical billing and coding is your career. In that case, you might choose the Medical Billing & Coding certificate program, which focuses exclusively on those skills and competencies, and prepares you for the Certified Coding Associate (CCA) exam. It even offers instruction in Spanish, which can aid workers in dealing with the growing population of Spanish-speaking customers.
- Or, if you have more time to develop your skill set, you might choose the Information Management Technician with Medical Billing & Coding certificate program. This dual-certificate program trains you in medical coding/billing, preparing you to take the Certified Coding Associate (CCA) exam, and in Microsoft Office skills, preparing you for professional examinations and certifications in products including Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Outlook.
Suppose you are considering a medical billing and coding career or are just curious about your options; why not contact the helpful admissions professionals in the Lackawanna College admissions office? The admission process is straightforward, easy, and free to apply. Lackawanna even offers a personalized education plan tool. Get the ball rolling today, and you could find yourself in your dream career in just a few short months.