Lackawanna College Disability Services | Lackawanna College

Disability Services

Who Is Eligible For Accommodations?

Lackawanna College is an equal employment and education opportunity institution conforming to all applicable legislation, which prohibits discrimination.

Whenever an applicant for admission demonstrates that he/she is a handicapped individual within the meaning of applicable federal and state law and is otherwise qualified for participation in a course or program, the College will make reasonable accommodation to the known physical or mental limitations of the qualified applicant.

How Are Accommodations Determined?

Accommodations must not impose an undue hardship on the College in the form of a financial or administrative burden. Specifically, it would be an undue financial burden on the College if the cost of the accommodation requested or required by such applicant exceeded the amount of tuition that would be paid by or for the qualified applicant to the College.

In determining whether an applicant who is hearing impaired and relies on American Sign Language to communicate, such applicant will be required to demonstrate proficiency in standard written English as a prerequisite to admission.

What Type Of Accommodations Are Offered?

Some examples of accommodations provided by the College are:

  • Extended time on exams
  • Extended time on assignments
  • Exams in a distraction-free environment
  • Copies of an instructor’s notes/outlines
  • Alternative methods of demonstrating mastery of course objectives
  • Note-taking services

Lackawanna College offers it’s students the use of the Read&Write app for all devices to boost reading and writing confidence in the classroom. The Read&Write app offers support to make documents, web pages and common file types in Google Drive (including: Google Docs, PDF & ePub) more accessible. It’s designed to help students engage with digital content in a way that suits their abilities and learning styles.

The app offers a wide range of support tools for reading, writing, studying and research, including:

  • Text-to-speech to hear words, passages, or whole documents read aloud with easy-to-follow dual color highlighting
  • Text and picture dictionaries to see the meaning of words
  • With speech-to-text, dictate words to assist with writing, proofreading & studying
  • Word prediction offering suggestions for the current or next word as you type
  • Collect highlights from text in documents or the web for summarization and research
  • Create and listen to voice notes directly inside Google Docs
  • Screen reader- Simplify and summarize text on web pages to remove ads and other copy that can be distracting

How Do I Receive Accommodations?

A diagnostic report supplied by a certified or licensed professional on the basis of an examination conducted within the last four years must be submitted to the Office of Admissions. *An IEP is insufficient documentation.

The diagnostic report should include:

  • Diagnosis of your current disability
  • Date of the diagnosis
  • How the diagnosis was reached
  • Credentials and signature of the professional
  • Information on how the disability affects a major life activity and your academic performance
  • Specific recommendations for accommodations
  • Explanation as to why each accommodation is recommended

Who Is My Contact Once I Arrive On Campus?

A student seeking accommodations must meet with Director of Disability Services Christine Kiehart in the Academic Development department, Suite 110 in Angeli Hall, at the beginning of each semester. You can contact the Director of Disability Services at or (570) 504-8097.