The Level Up program at Lackawanna College was created in response to the national crisis related to the rising cost of higher education, the increased time that students spend in college before completing their degree, and the need for students to graduate from their secondary experience prepared to succeed in a major program of their choice.
By creating a new model that offers students concrete educational pathways during their high school experience, the College aims to reduce or eliminate barriers to enrollment in higher education, boost student retention and completion rates, and link early educational pipelines with family-sustaining careers for students of all socioeconomic backgrounds.
The Level Up program dramatically reduces the per-credit rate for classes to make a college education more attainable for our region’s students.
The College’s standard dual enrollment rate is $100 per credit.
Students enrolled in this unique program have the opportunity to get acclimated to college-level rigor and experience potential career options while maintaining the “safety net” of a high school environment.
Credits enrolled through the Level Up program can be transferred across the country, but there are additional benefits awarded to students who choose to remain at Lackawanna.
Students will receive guidance from our Level Up Program Director, who will provide curriculum plans, academic advising, and academic support services. Students also have access to our various support services through the Student Success Center.
Partner School Districts
The Level Up program is currently offered to students in the following pilot school districts in northeastern Pennsylvania:
|Mountain View||Wayne Highlands|
|North Pocono||Western Wayne|
|Old Forge||Wyoming Area|
Level Up Program Director
National Recognition For The Level Up Program
Lackawanna College is proud of our Level Up program, and we have been honored to see the initiative earn national recognition.
In March 2021, the business magazine Fast Company included Lackawanna College on its World’s Most Innovative Companies in 2021 list, specifically for the merits of our Level Up program.
Fast Company ranked Lackawanna College in 9th place in its Corporate Social Responsibility category. The category ranks companies that have revolutionized their industries while benefiting their communities.
Lackawanna College is humbled by the attention we’ve received from Fast Company. From the start, we have only wanted our Level Up program to exist as a viable educational option for students struggling with the exponential increases in higher education. We are delighted to know we are impacting our Northeastern Pennsylvania college community in this way.
The Level up program offers students a variety of paths to earning college credits, certificates, or even associate degrees during their high school experience.
Please click on the drop down menus below to access more information about each pathway.
Obtain An Associate Degree While Still In High School
- Students can earn an associate degree in select majors while still in high school via a combination of dual enrollment classes offered on-site through partner districts or via online, late afternoon, evening, and summer classes at Lackawanna.
- Aimed at high-achieving students from each partner district in the region. Eligibility will be based on academic achievement.
- Graduates can receive scholarships and enroll seamlessly in a bachelor’s degree program at Lackawanna.
- Target majors include Business Administration, Criminal Justice, Human Services, and Professional Studies.
- The total cost of an associate degree will be $6,200 – significant savings versus traditional tuition at any institution, with opportunities to have the program fully funded potentially making it free to students.
Earn Discipline-Specific Certificates And Transferable Credits
- Students can pursue discipline-specific certificates comprised of introductory and foundation level courses in a particular major.
- These discipline-specific bundles of courses will save students at least one semester of college work.
- Certificate programs will cost from $1,400 to $2,400 depending on the number of credits included.
Certificate areas will include
- Business – 18 credits
- Criminal Justice – 18 credits
- Cyber Security – 18 credits
- Healthcare – 13 credits
- Human Services – 18 credits
- General Education / Core Curriculum – 21 credits
- PNG Pipeline – 21 credits
Build a Pathway To A Healthcare Career
The Healthcare Career Exploration Pathway is designed to introduce middle school and high school students to healthcare degree programs and career options. Through a combination of informational resources, classroom instruction, interactive experiences, and peer mentoring, the pathway will help students make informed decisions about their futures and begin a path to a rewarding career in healthcare.
In this Pathway, students will:
- Learn about different healthcare career options
- Gain exposure to college-level courses
- Participate in patient care simulations
- Obtain mentorship from Lackawanna College Health Science students
- Earn college credit toward a healthcare degree at a reduced rate
To learn more about the Healthcare Career Exploration Program, click here to contact Kelsey Healey.
If you are interested in participating in the Level Up program and are a current high school student in one of our partner districts, please click here to complete our inquiry form. An Admissions Counselor will contact you with more information.