The Level Up program at Lackawanna College was created in response to the national crisis related to the rising cost of higher education, the increased time that students spend in college before completing their degree, and the need for students to graduate from their secondary experience prepared to succeed in a major program of their choice.
“Our administration is deeply cognizant of the financial barriers to higher education that the students of our region, and their families, face,” Lackawanna College President Mark Volk said. “We felt a responsibility to our local communities to help make things easier. Through this partnership with a pilot group of school districts, and any others interested in partnering, we are taking a bold step to provide students with challenging academics, crucial support services, and a variety of options to earn a degree quickly at a significant cost savings.”
By creating a new model that offers students concrete educational pathways during their high school experience, the College aims to reduce or eliminate barriers to enrollment in higher education, boost student retention and completion rates, and link early educational pipelines with family-sustaining careers for students of all socioeconomic backgrounds.
- The Level Up program dramatically reduces the per-credit rate for classes to make a college education more attainable for our region’s students.
- The College’s standard dual enrollment rate is $100 per credit.
- Students enrolled in this unique program have the opportunity to get acclimated to college-level rigor and experience potential career options while maintaining the “safety net” of a high school environment.
- Credits enrolled through the Level Up program can be transferred across the country, but there are additional benefits awarded to students who choose to remain at Lackawanna.
- Students will receive guidance from our Level Up Program Director, who will provide curriculum plans, academic advising, and academic support services. Students also have access to our various support services through the Student Success Center.
Partner School Districts
The Level Up program is currently offered to students in the following pilot school districts in northeastern Pennsylvania:
|Mountain View||Wayne Highlands|
|North Pocono||Western Wayne|
|Old Forge||Wyoming Area|
The Level up program offers students a variety of paths to earning college credits, certificates, or even associate degrees during their high school experience.
Please click on the drop down menus below to access more information about each pathway.
Obtain an Associate Degree While Still in High School
- Students can earn an associate degree in select majors while still in high school via a combination of dual enrollment classes offered on-site through partner districts or via online, late afternoon, evening, and summer classes at Lackawanna.
- Aimed at high-achieving students from each partner district in the region. Eligibility will be based on academic achievement.
- Graduates can receive scholarships and enroll seamlessly in a bachelor’s degree program at Lackawanna.
- Target majors include Business Administration, Criminal Justice, Human Services, and Professional Studies.
- Total cost of an associate degree will be $6,200 – a significant savings versus traditional tuition at any institution, with opportunities to have the program fully funded potentially making it free to students.
For more information on degree requirements for select majors, please see the curriculum guides below:
Earn Discipline-Specific Certificates and Transferable Credits
- Students can pursue discipline-specific certificates comprised of introductory and foundation level courses in a particular major.
- These discipline-specific bundles of courses will save students at least one semester of college work.
- Certificate programs will cost from $1,400 to $2,400 depending on the number of credits included.
Certificate areas will include
- Business – 18 credits
- Criminal Justice – 18 credits
- Cyber Security – 18 credits
- Healthcare – 13 credits
- Human Services – 18 credits
- General Education / Core Curriculum – 21 credits
- PNG Pipeline – 21 credits
Build a Pathway to a Healthcare Career
- Course collections designed to strengthen the academic skills of students interested in pursuing a career in healthcare.
- Lackawanna representatives will begin providing informational sessions about available healthcare programs in intermediate schools or ninth grade, depending on the partner district’s wishes.
- Develop mentoring opportunities between Lackawanna’s healthcare students and high school students curious about the industry.
- Offers students the ability to take prerequisite and foundation courses while still in high school, including biology, anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, and more.
- Preferred associate program admission to graduates of the pipeline program.
If you are interested in participating in the Level Up program and are a current high school student in one of our partner districts, please click here to complete our inquiry form. An Admissions Counselor will contact you with more information.
Explore Lackawanna. Search by career, interest or program.