School of Petroleum & Natural Gas
Information sessions are held regularly at the School of Petroleum & Natural Gas. Click here for directions.
Tuesday, Feb. 10, 6 p.m.
Tuesday, March 10, 6 p.m.
Call (570) 465-2344 to register.
About the School of Petroleum & Natural Gas
Lackawanna College identified the technical human resource needs of the oil and gas industry early in the development of the Marcellus Shale exploration in Pennsylvania. While the industry had typically financed and sponsored some oil and gas technology programs to meet industry needs in the western United States, the College forged ahead as a private institution to build a program from scratch, establishing the School of Petroleum & Natural Gas in 2009.
Beginning in Fall 2014, the School of Petroleum & Natural Gas will expand to offer four industry-focused degrees:
- Petroleum & Natural Gas Technology, PNGT
- Natural Gas Compression Technology, NGCT
- Petroleum & Natural Gas Measurement, PNGM
- Petroleum & Natural Gas Business Administration, PNGB
Thanks in part to a $2.5 million gift from Cabot Oil and Gas Corporation made in April 2014, the School of Petroleum & Natural Gas remains focused on its vision of becoming a nationally-recognized, first in class program in the field of petroleum and natural gas technology. The gift represents a $1 million endowment and $1.5 million dedicated to the purchase of state-of-the-art equipment, training, staff and faculty development, and student interactive experiences and internships.
Other major E & P and Midstream companies including Chesapeake Energy, EXCO Resources, Baker Hughes, Williams, DTE Energy, Exterran, TEAM Oil Tools, Linde Corporation, Ariel Corporation, and Mid-Con Energy Partners have made significant contributions.
Hallmarks of the school’s vision include:
- A selective, competitive admissions process
- A curriculum built on petroleum, natural gas, measurement and controls, and compression engineering principles and industry direction
- To produce Petroleum Measurement and Compression Technologists and Technicians fulfilling the job market sector between typical Certificate and AAS Vo-tech programs and Petroleum Engineering Programs.
- A strong and aggressive internship and job placement program
- An administration and faculty with the academic credentials, previous industry experience, and skills to manage and support a program of the highest caliber
- High-quality and extensive lab facilities and equipment that enhance the learning experience and provide students with the hands-on practice and visual confirmation of calculations
- Prepare graduates to be effective employees from day one. 70% of our graduates are hired by major E & P, Midstream and Pipeline companies and those companies return to campus every year to hire our interns and graduates.
- To create a campus that is focused and dedicated to the oil and gas industry
- To provide industry-related activities like the student chapter of the Society of Petroleum Engineers.