Ordered to Active Military Service Enrollment Status Adjustment Policy
The purpose of this policy is to facilitate and support the transition of students ordered to active military service. The following procedure will be observed:
- The student notifies the Registrar's Office of his/her "order to active military service."
- The student is required to produce a copy of his/her official military orders directing them to report for active duty, which will be copied and retained in the student's academic file. (fax copy is not acceptable).
- The Registrar's Office will supply the student with the "Ordered To Active Military Service" form, and recommend that they see their advisor, the Academic Dean, and their professors to discuss and determine the best possible option (specific options follow) given the circumstances. Once the best option is determined, the completed form will be signed by the student and faculty members (where applicable) and returned to the Office of the Registrar.
- OPTIONS (the following are guidelines, the student elects the option).
- If coursework is at 75% or more of completion, the student may consider accepting Incomplete (I) grades. Full tuition charges will apply and the student will be given every reasonable opportunity to complete their coursework. Faculty approval is required for this option. Students will have 8 weeks subsequent to semester's end to complete their coursework with their instructor. Should extenuating circumstances be present which delay timely completion, an appeal for extension may be made in writing to the Academic Dean of the College. The results of said appeal will be conveyed by the Academic Dean's office to pertinent administrative departments (Registrar, Financial Aid, Business Office).
- If the semester is close to completion, the student may confer with his/her instructors and the Academic Dean to determine if an early final might be allowed, and final grades assigned. Faculty approval is required for this option.
- If coursework is not near completion, the student may consider withdrawal with full tuition refund or tuition credit.
- The student may elect a combination of the above. Faculty approval is required for this option.
- If option D is taken, the course specifics will be noted on the form.
- The student selecting option C will be asked if he/she elects a tuition refund or credit. This will be noted on the form.
The student will be advised to obtain departmental signatures. Once completed, the form will undergo data processing and distribution. Departmental procedures are as follows:
- The Business Office will Administer the student's tuition in accordance with the option chosen. Should the student elect option A, B, or D any applicable tuition will be billed to the student. A deferred payment may be available. Where applicable, Residence and Meal Plan charges will be prorated from the date the student takes leave of the college.
- The Financial Aid Office will Adjust or remove all financial assistance if the student elects option C. Notify the student's lending institution if he/she has borrowed a federal student loan. Forward a copy of the student's "order to active military service" papers to the student's lenders.
- The Registrar's Office will
- Notify all pertinent departments by copies of the form and orders.
- Notify the student's faculty of the student's call to active duty.
- Withdraw students from any subsequent semester courses in which they are pre-registered.
- Notify the Dean and Dean of Student Affairs by form and notify the President by email.
- Process the selected option and retain the supporting paperwork.
- If the student is a college resident, the Resident Life Coordinator will be notified by the Dean of Student affairs.
Lackawanna College is a private, non-profit educational institution. Degree programs are accredited by the Commission on Higher Education of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. Lackawanna College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative-Action educational institution.