Since its creation in the mid 1970s, the Police Academy at Lackawanna College has diligently trained generations of law enforcement professionals. Lackawanna is the first and continues to be the only private college in northeastern Pennsylvania authorized to provide ACT 120 training.
The Academy offers classes at the College’s Scranton campus and Hazleton center. In addition to providing training and education in ACT 120, Act 235, and other crucial areas of law enforcement, it is also responsible for scheduling all of the mandated yearly In-Service Training, or ACT 180, courses for 13 counties in our region.
More than 3,000 students have graduated from the Academy since its beginning, and today they actively serve as chiefs of police, attorneys, sheriffs, and as agents of state and federal agencies.
The Academy was originally certified by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania through the Municipal Police Officers’ Education and Training Commission in Harrisburg, Pa., on April 21, 1977.
Part-time: Nov. 17, 2014 – Sept. 25, 2015
Full-time: Feb. 9, 2015 – mid-July 2015
Full-time: Aug. 10, 2015 – Jan. 22, 2016
Part-time: Sept. 15, 2014 – Oct. 2, 2015
Full-time: Jan 12, 2015 – June 12, 2015
Full-time: July 13, 2015 – Dec. 18, 2015
Students seeking enrollment in the Police Academy at Lackawanna College must fulfill the following criteria. All pertinent documents must be submitted to the Academy 60 days prior to the start date for classes, and all testing requirements and interview must be completed 30 days prior to their start date:
- $35 application fee
- Must be 18 years of age
- Control Sheet
- Copy of Driver’s License
- Copy of Social Security Card
- Copy of Birth Certificate / Passport / Naturalization Card
- Criminal History Report*
- Driver History (Full or Certified)
- Grade Release Form
- Health Insurance Card / Signed Waiver Form
- High School Diploma, Transcript, or GED Certificate
- Medical Exam
- Personal and Professional History Information
- Vision Exam
- Two letters of reference
- Completed testing
- Physical Fitness Agility – $45 fee
- Psychological Report (MMPI)
- Nelson Denny Reading Comprehension Test
* Any conviction of a misdemeanor 2 or above will automatically disqualify you from enrollment