The SOAR (Students Occupationally and Academically Ready) Program of Study (POS) is designed to assist students in their preparation for a diverse, high-performing workforce. Programs are designed to lead students into a career path that aligns with secondary courses or postsecondary programs.
Why enroll in a SOAR program?
- Challenging coursework for academically qualified students.
- Prepares students for High Priority Occupations (HPO) which includes career categories that are in high demand, have higher skill needs, and are most likely to provide family sustaining wages.
- Satisfies high school requirements while earning college credits at the same time.
- Saves money on college tuition by earning up to 9 college credits FREE at Lackawanna College! This is valued at up to $4,600!
How are FREE credits earned?
- Complete the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) approved SOAR Program of Study in high school or Career and Technology Center and achieve proficiency on all tasks required.
- Earn a 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale) Grade Point Average (GPA) in the technical courses.
- Achieve competent or advanced on the exam at the end of the technical program.
- Earn a high school diploma.
- Within three years of high school graduation, apply with appropriate paperwork from your guidance counselor and be accepted as a student at a college that offers SOAR POS credits in the student’s program.
What SOAR Programs of Study does Lackawanna College offer?
Click on a specific program name for a description.
Click on a specific program number for how the program is accepted at Lackawanna College.
- Accounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping – (52.0302)
- Child Care and Support Services Management – (19.0708)
- Criminal Justice/Police Science – (43.0107)
- Homeland Security, Law Enforcement, Firefighting and Related Protective Services, Other – (43.9999)
- Management Information Systems and Business Data Processing – (52.1201)
Explanation of Informational Links
- Perkins Statewide Articulation Agreement – A document that explains the details of the agreement between participating high schools and colleges and the PA Department of Education.
- Secondary Competency Task List – A document listing all tasks that a student must achieve proficiently to obtain college credit for the specified SOAR POS.
- Secondary School Partners – A list by calendar year of high schools that have approved/deleted the SOAR POS.
For official information on the Pennsylvania Department of Education SOAR program, please click here.