Lackawanna College has made the commitment to improve campus sustainability!
The Green Falcons are a collaborative group of faculty, staff and students
working together to increase sustainability on campus.
Students meet weekly, conducted in the form of a student club, meeting Thursdays from 12:15 – 1:00 in room 201. The Green Falcons plan “green” events, raise money for sustainability efforts, monitor the recycling program and increase campus sustainability awareness and knowledge. Check out our current events & projects.
Once a month, the Sustainability Committee meets to oversee topics, issues and changes that are priorities to achieving the goals of sustainability within the college. The committee is comprised of faculty, staff and student from various departments of the college. Check out our accomplishments.
Our mission is to establish sustainability through education, operations, and community engagements.
To be committed to creating and advancing a culture of sustainability within the L.C. community.
To enhance the College's standing as a community leader in sustainability.
Events & Projects
- Better World Book Drive – a fundraiser that not only increase our sustainability budget but also finds new homes for unwanted books, saving tons of books from the landfills. All while donating money and books towards global literacy problems.
- Earth Hour – a world wide cry for energy conservation. This yearly event lands on March 27 this year, to participate turn off your lights from 8:30pm – 9:30pm.
- Encouraging Spring Fling to “Go Green” – this years Spring Fling theme is Peace, Love and Earth. Recycling bins and contests will be distributed through out the event; there will be sustainability contest, trivia games, and organic tie dyeing.
- Sustainability Week – a whole week of sustainability games and events starting on Earth Day and ending with Spring Fling on Arbor Day. Some events include: Geocaching, clean up, green trivia game.
- Switched to “Green” Cleaning Products (Chemical Free) - which reduces the toxins and pollutants released into the water and provides better indoor air quality for its employees and students.
- Started a Carbon Inventory – an in depth evaluation of the carbon generated by the college.
- Expand our Recycling Program - which now includes office paper, mixed recyclables, magazines and the purchase of 13 new bins for campus.
- Expand our Energy Conservation Program - Throughout the campus, lighting fixtures have been changed to more energy efficient models and compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) are used wherever possible, which helps to reduce the school’s energy consumption.
- Initiate a “Green” Purchasing Policy - Lackawanna College has also started purchasing “greener” products; all paper products are recycled, all new appliances and electronics are being upgraded to Energy Star products and all new printers have the ability to print double-sided, saving paper.
- Hired a Sustainability Coordinator - to increase sustainability through education and change within the college and the surrounding community.
- Started a Sustainability Committee - comprised of enthusiastic volunteers from various departments within the college. The committee oversees topics, issues and changes that are priorities to achieving the goals of sustainability within the college.
- Green Falcons Logo – the Green Falcons was created to increase visibility and campus sustainability awareness.
- Green Falcons Sustainability Action Team - created for students to educate students in sustainability; interested students can participate in the Sustainability Committee, network and organize events such as Earth Day Celebrations and write the Green Falcons E-News.
- Orientation- students will be introduced to Lackawanna’s commitment to sustainability, new sustainability practices and will be given reusable canvas bags instead of plastic bags.
All students welcome to join the Green Falcons to learn about, participate in and promote a culture of sustainability within the Lackawanna College Community through improving and implementing green practices. Weekly meetings will involve solutions and practices for a greener school and lifestyle, and event planning. Activities will include but not be limited to promoting and educating both students and faculty about sustainably practices, sitting on the Sustainability Committee, planning events such as an Earth Day Celebration, organizing change within our community, writing The Green Falcon News and much more. Club members will be the voice of the club and determine the activities and direction of the club.
Meetings are held every Thursday, at 12:15 p.m., in Room 201.
For information contact Michelle Wheeler, club advisor, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sustainability – The ability to meet the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs, through understanding the interconnections among economy, society and the environment.
Sustainability Coordinator / Education Assistant
Lackawanna College Environmental Institute
PO Box 435, Moscow, PA 18444